Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Articulation

Over the past few weeks I have been collecting information to write a booklet for young modern bassoonists who are beginning to look at early repertoire for the instrument. I began work on this project when it was recently announced that I would be the historical bassoonist on staff at the Brooke Valley Bassoon Days in Lanark County, Ontario, this August (unfortunately, due to scheduling I wasn't able to get on the poster below...). It will be a great opportunity to talk to young musicians and shape their inquiry into the area of early music without the baggage which comes with learning a new instrument.

With this in mind, I've decided to separate my booklet into two parts: one on context; the other on the nitty-gritty practical subjects which one expects from this sort of pamphlet. In combination with a master class setting, I feel there will be ample opportunity for those interested to get a full introduction to early music performance. 

So far I've concentrated my attention towards the section on context, titled Mindset. Gathering the information has been an enlightening activity. Though I had read much of the material for my own purposes, returning to it now to write for the benefit of others has allowed me to make connections that I didn't quite see before. Furthermore, I've also taken the time to fill out my general knowledge in some areas where I had only some basic principles before. 

When I was in grade school, one of my teachers had a saying, "Read it, write it, teach it." Each was a step in the learning process. Once you could effectively articulate a principle to someone else then you yourself displayed a full understanding of the concept. Although I'm still in the second stage in this process, it won't be long before I will be tested with the third.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any copyrighted material on these pages is included as "fair use", for the purpose of study, review or critical analysis only, and will be removed at the request of copyright owner(s).