Tuesday, March 20, 2018

(Title)

For the last 6 months or so I've had an unfinished composition sitting on my desk next to my laptop. The piece is a multi-movement fantasia (of sorts) for solo baroque bassoon. The piece is written in a shorthand which, like a number of my own compositions for solo bassoon, allows me the freedom to explore my musical ideas from one performance to another. The composition hasn't been finished because the inspiration for it comes from a rather dark memory which I've been reluctant to dig up. The reason I write about it today, however, has to do with the title.


While I am no expert in the realm of new music, I can imagine that the variety in stylings which their titles take today are only increasing. Most instrumental works in centuries past were not given a name. We know them by the ways we categorize them; their form, key and, if they were published, by their order of in the collection (e.g. Suite in G major, Op. 3 no. 1). Of course, exceptions to the rule existed - take the instrumental repertoire of the French baroque, for example. Free today are we, however, to break from this tradition.


So I took it upon myself to title the work and its movements hinting to the particular memories they were inspired by. While I'm not bothered by the thought of performing a work born out of a personal experience to a public audience, for some reason I'm fighting the urge to explicitly identify what brought about the work. Funny to me is that, though I am plausibly fearful of ridding myself of a comfortable space between me an my audience, I think my apprehension here stems from the fear that I am effectively creating a work of 'low' art.

Think about it, I'm writing a piece about a woman. Elements of it do have some real sophistication which I spent time working out: it incorporates a notational shorthand which I developed after studying early western musical manuscripts, for example.

It's a puzzling fear to have. I suppose it boils down to an adherence to The Poietic Fallacy. A theory of Richard Taruskin, which points to the hegemony within western classical music of valuing the particularities of a work's construction over its reception or ability to move an audience. While a dedication of a work would fit within the canon, betraying that the compositional process was driven by an emotional response somehow seems to me to be too revealing. Even discussing the topic has been hard: a draft of this post has been sitting in my outbox for two months now.

For the moment I don't know if this circle can be squared.

21 comments:

  1. When you talk about roofers Toronto, All Roofing Inc stands out as the choicest brand. Our brand has a unique record of delivering only services that customers can’t resist. Every building, whether residential or commercial, deserves the services of expert Toronto roof repair, and we don’t go back on our promise of quality. roof repair Toronto


    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thanks for the great information you havr provided! You have touched on crucuial points!witneycouriers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy about these cards because I received mine last week and have already used it to get $20,000. Skylink technology is giving out these cards to support people in any kind of financial problem at a fair cost. I must be sincere to you, when i first saw the advert, home renovations

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I believe your web site might be having web browser compatibility issues. When I look at your website in Safari, it looks fine however, when opening in Internet Explorer, it’s got some overlapping issues. Luchthavenvervoer

    ReplyDelete
  5. You'll locate severa on line creditors and opportunity creditors which can be provide a brief software manner and aggressive rates.Custom Paint By Number Kits

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you because you have been willing to share information with us. we will always appreciate all you have done here because I know you are very concerned with our. esthetician continuing education

    ReplyDelete
  7. This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. this is very nice one and gives indepth information. thanks for this nice article… Its a great pleasure reading your post.Its full of information I am looking for and I love to post a comment that “The content of your post is awesome” Great work. Long Island Mason

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting, you are doing a good job and thanks for sharing such a good blog. Your article is so convincing that I never stop myself to say something about it. Lusitania Commercial Residential Contracting

    ReplyDelete
  9. I received mine last week and have already used it to get $20,000. Skylink technology is giving out these cards to support people in any kind of financial problem at a fair cost. I must be sincere to you, when i first saw the advert.med spa equipment

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great blog doesn't beguile the peruser, yet rather lay the cards in each point. This is one procedure for letting the peruser to consider the legitimacy of the issue and the substances that support it. Eventually, individuals will trust in the substance of the blog if the majority of the certainties are there and all information indicated has been had a solid reason and air. microcurrent conductive gel

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is very interesting, You’re an excessively skilled bloggerI have joined your rss feed and sit up for in quest of extra of your wonderful post. Also, I’ve shared your site in my social networks.Transfers in Israel

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was surfing the Internet for information and came across your blog. I am impressed by the information you have on this blog. It shows how well you understand this subject.How to maintain weight in Ramadan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! Thanks for the great information you havr provided! You have touched on crucuial points.read here

    ReplyDelete
  14. I’m going to read this. I’ll be sure to come back. thanks for sharing. and also This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. this is very nice one and gives indepth information. thanks for this nice article.read more here

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, we're peptides world. We have been providing top quality and pure peptides for more than 20 years in the market. epo for sale

    ReplyDelete
  16. ll of our products epo for sale are made with the best and high quality raw material. With years of expertise, we have over 100 customers in many different locations around the world.

    ReplyDelete

  17. This kind of message continually motivating and I like to study quality substance, so glad to discover great spot to various here in the post, the composing is simply unbelievable, a debt of gratitude is in order for the post.Taiwan nature

    ReplyDelete
  18. Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm Ocean side are major metropolitan focuses inside Southeast Florida's beach front regional construction Central Ohio Mobile Mechanic

    ReplyDelete
  19. Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm Ocean side are major metropolitan focuses inside Southeast Florida's seaside regional design.) Cypress Mobile Truck Repair

    ReplyDelete
  20. Regional sports and games can have passionate followings, fostering a sense of community and identity. Cincinnati Mobile Diesel Truck Repair

    ReplyDelete

  21. The wallet group makes the well-liked and efficient MetaMask Chrome browser extension accessible to everybody.MetaMask Chrome

    ReplyDelete

Any copyrighted material on these pages is included as "fair use", for the purpose of study, review or critical analysis only, and will be removed at the request of copyright owner(s).