Monday, March 26, 2012

Quite the Journey

The bassoonists relax after a long day of auditions. 
Those of you who are going through, or have gone through, their final year of their undergrad will certainly understand my life at this time of year. Assignments piling high, a graduation recital looming, and, to wrap it all up, preparing for graduate school auditions. Needless to say, the past few months have been quite difficult for me.

Since my trip to the Schola Cantorum Basiliensis this past August, I have done my upmost to secure a place at the school next year. I've begun learning the piano, bought an ear training app, sight-sung through 6 chapters of a textbook, and sat in a practice room for far too long.

Last weekend, I made my long-anticipated return to Basel, Switzerland, for the audition.



The very pleasant journey and wonderful stay was, however, bittersweet as I had left just as soon as I had arrived. What made the trip mildly distressing was that it began and ended with a lecture at Carleton, the unfortunate reality being that I am unable to move on without graduating.

Though both the preparation for and the journey to the audition took much out of me, I was energized by support I received. During a time when I felt I no longer existed, I was moved by the number of messages which came in through emails, texts, Facebook, and phone calls.

More importantly, I am indebted to others who made my trip possible: Plamen, who moved houses to give me a bed for the weekend; Donna, who took the time to prepare me for the audition; Julia, who helped show me around; and my mother, who, unexpectedly, shelled out for the trip.

Now, with the weight on my shoulders beginning to lighten, I look forward to living a more balanced life. A happier one as well, as I now know of the many fingers crossed as I, or we, wait to hear from the SCB.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any copyrighted material on these pages is included as "fair use", for the purpose of study, review or critical analysis only, and will be removed at the request of copyright owner(s).